Re: Popularizing Non Tbs

In our area the other classes of iris were not being entered in shows.  So I started entering all the different classes and I noticed that once a few of our Siberians, Spurias or medians started winning awards the following year the number of exhibited plants increased in number in those classes.  Now we seem to have a wider range of plants entered and while TB's are the largest class, the public gets to see some of the others as well.
Carol Coleman
A.I.S. Membership Chairman State of Idaho
Region 11 Zone 5

Arnold Koekkoek wrote:

 Another way for this (popularizing non-TB iris) activity in AIS circles is one being practiced for the last few years by my club.  While we buy and auction TB and some median  iris for our big sale in July, we reward the work of the members by buying and distributing to the active members, without charge, a collection of both Siberians and spurias in September.  We have succeeded in generating considerable interest in, knowledge about, and enthusiasm for these types, which was our goal when we started this.   I highly recommend the method.  It works.Arnold Arnold & Carol Koekkoek
38 7th Street, NE
Sioux Center, IA 51250
e-mail  koekkoek@mtcnet.net