Re: AR: Checklists

From: scott jordan <sjordan@unm.edu>

We are elated to learn that there are now TWO aril/arilbred checklists
available to iris enthusiasts.  Truly amazing!  The Aril Society is one of
the smaller specialty affiliates of the American Iris Society, yet we now
have twice as many checklists for our favorite flowers as any other group.
Sharon McAllister's Comprehensive Checklist mostly covers the same
cultivars, with an historical emphasis and inclusion of several arilbreds
with less than one-quarter aril content.  The Aril Society International
Official Checklist does not include less than one-quarter arilbreds since
they are not eligible for AIS shows in the arilbred categories.  The ASI
Official Checklist is current through December, 1998, whereas the HIPS
Comprehensive Checklist is apparently current only through 1996.  Please
correct me if I'm wrong on this.  The ASI Checklist of course
also abstracts the American Iris Society R&I's and is meant to be a useful
time saver at iris shows for looking up aril/arilbred entries as well as
for general reference. As a point of information, Copies of the Official
Checklist are available to anyone for $15 (includes postage) from the
ASI General Secretary, Lowell Baumunk, 10918 Sunshine Dr., Littleton, CO  80125

Scott Jordan, President, Aril Society International
Albuquerque, New Mexico