CULT:Question on Form

From: Gullo <tgf@frontiernet.net>

Hi all,

     I have heard some interesting responses.  From Anner and from Linda
Mann the notion that particular hybridizers have an eye and knack for
form.  Linda suggested that ideal is only in the imagination , which is
most likely true.  Perhaps this is a futile question for as I had
expected everyone's tastes are different and what appeals to one may not
attract someone else in the slightest.  Possibly , or even probably ,
form that is well suited to one flower or one color may not be as
appealing for others.  From the Walter's , an interesting posting on the
judges handbook and it's comments on pendant falls being a fault.
Somehow there must be some sort of a consensus reached to put together a
handbook of this nature.  I can imagine it can not be an enviable task.
I do agree that medians are expected to be of more flaring form and I
can understand the height/visibility argument for it.  Is form being
selected intentionally or unintentionally as a result of judging for
awards or shows?
     Thank you Randy for your comments regarding Haute Couture and
Double Bubble.  I have seen the picture of D.B. in the latest AIS
Bulletin and it seems that this is the direction that TB breeding is
headed for better or worse.  I have Rippling River ( Schreiner 95 ) here
, another one of these bubble ruffled irises , and I found that some of
those tightly ruffled buds had trouble unfurling.  Last year was my
first year of bloom for this plant and perhaps other things had
conspired against it hard to say for certain but I will watch it in the
future.
I suppose if they all looked alike the iris world would be much poorer.

Have a nice one

Michael Gullo
West Walworth , NY
zone 6