Re: AIS:Popularizing non-TB Irises

From: BigAlligator@aol.com

In a message dated 12/5/99 9:54:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
StorYlade@aol.com writes:

<< Floridians need education to accept other forms
 of irises. (I once thought rebloomers might work there since their need for
 chill appears to be less.) >>

Betty,
     You are correct.  From what I understand, until recently, the native
Floridians were not much into growing ornamental plants.  They saw "yankees"
bring down TB Irises and have them fail, so both the newcomers and native
Floridians started assuming that Irises would not grow here.  Successful
culture of native Irises and hybrid Lousianas is helping to correct that
myth.  Still, it will be difficult to correct this as long as mass marketing
outlets continue to bring in TB Irises to sell.
     The concept of Rebloomers is interesting.  I brought some of them down,
and had to send them north.  Now, I have WINTERLAND growing in five pots.  It
is showing promise.  Harry Wolford in Palm Bay, FL has had success with a
Sutton Rebloomer, but I cannot recall the name of it right now.  If it comes
back good for him again next year, I will order it.

Mark A. Cook
BigAlligator@aol.com
Dunnellon, Florida.