Re: Cult: Question on Form

From: Sandy Ives <rives@home.com>

This isn't strictly concerning form; rather, on form and substance.

John Coble gave a JI judges training course in Burlington, Ontario (Canada) at
the JI symposium ('97?).  The critical idea he left me with was that of the wet
Kleenex (trademarked).  If, after a rain shower,  the resulting bloom gave the
appearance of a wet Kleenex on a stick, then the cultivar wasn't worth the

I try to keep this in mind in the garden.  Good form can best be maintained with
good substance; without good substance, the cultivar cannot maintain its form.

As Jeff Walters noted, the Judges' Handbook makes several statements concerning
form (and quotes pg 62).  However, it does say earlier:

"Flaring falls are preferred to those that hang excessively, and the degree of
flare is closely related to stalk height."

The key word is 'excessively' in my view.

A direct reference is also made concerning horizontally flaring falls as being
appropriate to a shorter TB, but 'would not be as effective on a tall plant'.  I
would agree with this, but perspective is important here.  Someone who is 6'6"
(2m) would be able to appreciate such a plant much more than the average AIS
judge.  ;-)

That's not to say the AIS judges are (are not) biased in favour of flaring
falls.  As Dorothy Willot wrote, SDBs and MDBs must have flaring falls to be
effective in the garden.  And, while I don't vote the arils (sorry Dennis), I do
vote the medians.

Sandy Ives in Ottawa (z4ish, who intends to go to the HIPS convention next year
in New York see some Jurassic forms ;-)   )