Re: Re: Popularizing non-TB iris

From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>

CAUTION:  For those of you that don't know me, which is 99% of you, what
follows is all said in the spirit of good fun.  So don't take it
personally.  However, I think I do raise some pretty valid points!
-----
There are several different issues being discussed on the list to which I
would like respond and/or further provoke.  :)

(#1) Judges/Judging, Awards & Medals, etc.:
	a) Judges are not growing enough arilbreds.  This is obvious
because only 13 voted for this year's HM winner.  Surely more than 13
judges can grow arilbreds (out of 200?  500?  1,000 judges out there?
nobody has told me yet how many judges there are).  I'm talking
quarterbreds here.  C'mon folks, quarterbreds are not THAT fussy.  And if
you can grow them, then you should, IMHO.  15 of you voted for Californicae
HM, can more people grow these than quarterbreds?!??  Hmmmm????
	b) AIS doesn't care that only 13 voted for this group.  I say this
because nobody else seemed to notice until I mentioned it.  And when I did
mention it, nobody seemed the least bit concerned.  How nice to know that
AIS doesn't care about certain irises!!!
	c) It's not just arilbreds, but all non-TB groups that are
under-represented by judges.  The beardless especially seem to be ignored.
Judges are setting the wrong example if they grow 100's or 1000's of TBs
and virtually nothing else.  I have no proof that this goes on, but it
seems to be what's happening. Apologies in advance if I am wrong!  And BOY
would I love to be wrong.

(#2) Publishing IRIS-TALK Symposium Results in the AIS Bulletin:
	a) I think this is a good idea.  Obviously not all 1,000+ entries
would be printed, but a summary of the results would be nice.  Even if it
is just a list of those enjoyable comments that people made about certain
cultivars.
	b) I think the AIS should have an Open Symposium similar to what we
have done here on Iris-Talk.  They're sending the wrong message to the
masses by sponsoring a TB-only Symposium.  (PLEASE REFER TO ABOVE, #1-B,
"How nice to know that AIS doesn't care about certain irises!!!")  I am
insulted by AIS telling me that my favorite irises are not worthy.

(#3) "Bearded Irises Are The Most Adaptable..." (direct quote from Bill
Shear, but the same sentiments held by most everyone else on Iris-Talk and
in AIS, including Clarence Mahan our prez who told me this in an email last
week)
	I am sick to death of hearing this!  Beardless irises naturally
occur on 4 continents.  Bearded irises only span 1.5 continents.  How does
that make them more adaptable?????????????????????????????????????  It must
be that new math or something...

(#4) Shows
	I don't like 'em.  Flowers are more valuable to me for hybridizing
than for winning a ribbon.  I'd rather spend the day in the garden pollen
daubing than grooming and fussing over something that's going to be gone
soon anyways.

(#5) The Great TB Conspiracy!!
	Please take a moment to consider the following statistics that I
wasted the last half hour of my life compiling from my AIS bulletins.  :)
I have been receiving bulletins since 1/98, so I now have 8 issues.  Here
is what I discovered:
	a) What is featured on the front cover of EACH AND EVERY issue?  TBs!!
	b) What is featured on the back cover of 6 issues?  TBs!!  What is
featured on the back cover of the other 2 issues?  Well, one features
hybridizers of TBs (go figure!), and the other is a collage of 5 TBs, 1 IB,
and 1 SIB.
	c) Now let's look at the running total of the "centerfold" color
photos for the last eight issues (this includes the color photos on the
inside front & back covers, but does not include paid advertisements):
	- TBs are featured in 77 color photos (47.5% of total)
	- AR/AB are featured in 19 color photos (11.7% of total - NOTE: 14
of these photos appeared in one issue of the bulletin accompanying an
article written by Sharon McAllister)
	- JI are featured in 7 color photos (4.3% of total)
	- SPU are featured in 7 color photos (4.3% of total)
	- LA are featured in 5 color photos (3.1% of total)
	- SPEC are featured in 17 color photos (10.5% of total - NOTE: 9 of
these photos were of Al McMurtrie's reticulatas, half the remaining photos
were of irid species, not irises per se)
	- IB are featured in 3 color photos (1.9% of total)
	- BB are featured in 5 color photos (3.1% of total)
	- SDB are featured in 5 color photos (3.1% of total)
	- MTB are featured in 2 color photos (1.2% of total)
	- MDB are featured in 2 color photos (1.2% of total)
	- SIB are featured in 3 color photos (1.9% of total)
	- CA are featured in 2 color photos (1.2% of total)
	- SPEC-X are featured in 1 color photo (0.6% of total)
	- UNKNOWN are featured in 7 color photos (4.3% of total - NOTE: all
of these were bearded, and most of them were probably TBs, but I just
couldn't prove it since I don't have the checklists - if TBs, this pushes
the TB count over the 50% mark!!!)
	d) An extra footnote concerning the above statistics...TBs are the
only type of iris to appear in every issue of my bulletins.
	e) I'd love to know when the last time was that a NON-TB and/or
NON-BEARDED iris appeared on the front cover of an AIS bulletin.  Would
anyone care to research that for me?

(#6) "Kramb's garden is an interesting apparent anomaly, though. No
question of
that."
	BIG GRIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :)    (thanks Anner! I think? <G>)

I know you all think I'm crazy but I don't care.  I'm having too much fun
getting a rise out of the TB-crowd.  Not to mention the burr in my britches
about having my two favorite iris types (LAs and ABs) being ignored by the
AIS.....oh, but I keep forgetting, the AIS doesn't care about certain
irises!!

PS: I would just like to reiterate:  For those of you that don't know me,
which is 99% of you, this entire message was composed all in good fun.  But
I think I do raise some pretty valid points!

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com
http://www.badbear.com/dkramb/home.html