Re: Re: Popularizing non-TB iris

From: Gerry Snyder <gcsnyd@loop.com>

Dennis Kramb wrote:
> From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>
> CAUTION:  For those of you that don't know me, which is 99% of you, what
> follows is all said in the spirit of good fun.  So don't take it
> personally.  However, I think I do raise some pretty valid points!

To tear down your points, one by one (just in fun)

> (#1) Judges/Judging, Awards & Medals, etc.:
>         a) Judges are not growing enough arilbreds.  This is obvious
> because only 13 voted for this year's HM winner.  Surely more than 13
> judges can grow arilbreds

Perhaps some grow ABs and chose not to vote for the winner?

> (out of 200?  500?  1,000 judges out there?
> nobody has told me yet how many judges there are).

This thread started with a comment on the number of judges. Go check it
out. (Look up Thornbird, a glorious TB.)

>  I'm talking
> quarterbreds here.  C'mon folks, quarterbreds are not THAT fussy.  And if
> you can grow them, then you should, IMHO.  15 of you voted for Californicae
> HM, can more people grow these than quarterbreds?!??  Hmmmm????

Again, it is overly simplistic to compare the number of votes for the

>         b) AIS doesn't care that only 13 voted for this group.  I say this
> because nobody else seemed to notice until I mentioned it.  And when I did
> mention it, nobody seemed the least bit concerned.  How nice to know that
> AIS doesn't care about certain irises!!!

This is so insulting as not to deserve a reply.

>         c) It's not just arilbreds, but all non-TB groups that are
> under-represented by judges.  The beardless especially seem to be ignored.
> Judges are setting the wrong example if they grow 100's or 1000's of TBs
> and virtually nothing else.  I have no proof that this goes on, but it
> seems to be what's happening. Apologies in advance if I am wrong!  And BOY
> would I love to be wrong.

I would love for you to be wrong, too.!

> (#2) Publishing IRIS-TALK Symposium Results in the AIS Bulletin:
>         b) I think the AIS should have an Open Symposium similar to what we
> have done here on Iris-Talk.  They're sending the wrong message to the
> masses by sponsoring a TB-only Symposium.  (PLEASE REFER TO ABOVE, #1-B,
> "How nice to know that AIS doesn't care about certain irises!!!")  I am
> insulted by AIS telling me that my favorite irises are not worthy.

AIS isn't telling you that.

> (#3) "Bearded Irises Are The Most Adaptable..."
>         I am sick to death of hearing this!  Beardless irises naturally
> occur on 4 continents.  Bearded irises only span 1.5 continents.  How does
> that make them more adaptable?????????????????????????????????????  It must
> be that new math or something...

If the same beardless iris occurred on 4 continents your comment would
be valid. They don't. It isn't.

> (#4) Shows
>         I don't like 'em.  Flowers are more valuable to me for hybridizing
> than for winning a ribbon.  I'd rather spend the day in the garden pollen
> daubing than grooming and fussing over something that's going to be gone
> soon anyways.

> (#5) The Great TB Conspiracy!! ....

Others complain that there is too much space wasted in the Bulletin on
non-TB junk.

> .... I keep forgetting, the AIS doesn't care about certain
> irises!!

Still not worthy of a reply.

> PS: I would just like to reiterate:  For those of you that don't know me,
> which is 99% of you, this entire message was composed all in good fun.  But
> I think I do raise some pretty valid points!

I think I've torn them down pretty well, just in fun.

Of course, if the comments had been limited to the observation that
judges, like many other irisarians, should grow a wider variety of
irises, I would have had to agree.

Gerry, former Cincinnatian
Gerry Snyder, AIS Symposium Chair
Region 15 Ass't RVP, JT Chair