AR:REF: Comprehensive Checklist

From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>

Scott Jordan wrote:
We are elated to learn that there are now TWO aril/arilbred checklists
available to iris enthusiasts.  Truly amazing!  The Aril Society is one of
the smaller specialty affiliates of the American Iris Society, yet we now
have twice as many checklists for our favorite flowers as any other group.
Sharon McAllister's Comprehensive Checklist mostly covers the same
cultivars, with an historical emphasis and inclusion of several arilbreds
with less than one-quarter aril content.  The Aril Society International
Official Checklist does not include less than one-quarter arilbreds since
they are not eligible for AIS shows in the arilbred categories.  The ASI
Official Checklist is current through December, 1998, whereas the HIPS
Comprehensive Checklist is apparently current only through 1996.  Please
correct me if I'm wrong on this.  The ASI Checklist of course
also abstracts the American Iris Society R&I's and is meant to be a useful
time saver at iris shows for looking up aril/arilbred entries as well as
for general reference. As a point of information, Copies of the Official
Checklist are available to anyone for $15 (includes postage) from the
ASI General Secretary, Lowell Baumunk, 10918 Sunshine Dr., Littleton, CO

Yes, the two Checklists include mostly the same cultivars.  As Scott
pointed out, the ASI list is designed for a quick reference at shows.  The
Comprehensive list distributed by HIPS is designed for the hybridizer and
historian as well as for use at shows, and therefore includes more
information in each entry.

There are some more subtle differences, but the most noticeable one is the
group each list includes that the other does not:

The Comprehensive list has NOT been updated to include 1997 and 1998
introductions.  This would certainly be convenient for show officials, as
is evidenced by the fact that ASI has updated their list.  I have chosen
not to update the Comprehensive List before the AIS 1999 Decennial
Checklist is published, however, because the information is readily
available from the R&I booklets.  The publication of a Decennial Checklist
is an opportunity for correcting errors in the annual booklets.  As ASI
Checklist Editor, I coped with the problem of errata required by changes in
the '79 & '89 Checklists and simply choose not to subject myself to that
particular headache this time 'round.  If your primary interest is growing
and exhibiting the most recent introductions, you need the ASI Checklist.

The Comprehensive list does, however, include hundreds of cultivars [not
just "several"] that have been omitted from the ASI list because they are
not eligible for ASI-sanctioned shows.  Some are the "less than one-quarter
arilbreds" Scott mentioned.  Others have enough aril content to have been
registered as arilbreds, but the hybridizer chose to register them in a
different class.  Still others were introduced during the period in which
registration with AIS was not required.  Those that do not qualify as
arilbreds under today's rules are so designated, with an explanation as to
why ASI excludes them.  If your primary interest is in historic iris or in
hybridizing, you need the Comprehensive Checklist distributed by HIPS.  [If
you grow many pre-1990 introductions, you may find it enlightening as it
includes both the code under which a cultivar was registered and the modern

Scott -- I do have one question.  The Fall/Winter ASI Newsletter gave the
price of the ASI Checklist as "$17.00 by mail; $15.00 if picked up in
person."  Has ASI really lowered the price to $15.00, including postage?

Sharon McAllister