AR: Yearly Digging?

From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>

Dana Brown wrote:

>    We leave our AB's in place for 3 years and then dig.  We have none
to light bloom the first year, heavier bloom the second year and heavy
bloom the third year.  In this respect they behave just like TB's for
us.  Out of @ 25 rz planted fall of 98 I would guess that 1/3 of them
bloomed.  I have always been amazed to hear that dedicated Aril people
dig every year.  The other side of that coin is I am glad I don't have
to dig them all every year <G>.

My primary goal in hybridizing has been gardenability that would allow
arilbreds to be so treated -- and I certainly don't claim to be the only
one who has done this.  When we were putting out a catalog, every arilbred
import was tested by being left in place for  two or three years.  Those
that flunked did NOT go into the catalog, no matter what other redeeming
qualities they might have.  Sounds like you share my taste in ABs <G>.

Some of the bunchy "biennial" types are so breath-takingly gorgeous that
many people feel they are worth the extra effort.  I don't mean to
discourage them -- I just want to make it easier for the average gardener
to enjoy some of the ABs' exotic beauty.

Here in southern NM, we get at least 80% first-year bloom on ABs if we
plant when established clumps are breaking dormancy.  Later planting means
less bloom, down to virtually nothing if a killing frost hits within a
couple of weeks of planting.

Sharon McAllister