Re: AIS: The Iris Show..Some Thoughts

From: Barb Johnson <bdjohnson@atlascomm.net>

John Bruce wrote:

> From: "John Bruce" <jbruce@infinet.com>
> Time to beat that dead racehorse a bit more <G>
> Iris shows, in my experience, are more than just competitions. They
> are advertisements. We hold our shows at center court of a mid-sized
> mall. There is a large amount of human traffic that passes through the
> area in a day-the show is there from mall opening until 6 PM.
> The comments are most often on the order of "Wow! I didn't know these
> came in all these colors! My grandma had some old purple ones in her
> garden , but they didn't look like this! Are these as easy to grow?
> Where do you get these?"
> Then they notice the tables with medians, siberians, and species.
> More comments and questions follow, and folks learn about beardless
> irises. Our last show had 166 varieties displayed -- 110 TB, 22
> medians, and 34 species and siberians. This was a good cross-section
> with which to educate people.  There would even have been an arilbred
> at the show had not the bloom folded that morning...........
> My take on shows is that they are an opportunity both for gardeners
> to show the payoff for their hard work, and a way to increase
> knowledge and exposure of all irises, TB included <G>. It works in our
> area.
> Shows are a lot of work, and if it were for competition only I would
> not bother. They are just a competition for many or most entrants, but
> the results are still the same-increased exposure for irises.
> It is not the "gardener" who would have found out anyway we are
> looking for -- it is the potential gardener of the future. If one
> person starts because of a show, it is well worth the effort.
> Attending a show might even prove that folks grow more than TBs!
> Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
No you're not wrong. I totally agree. We hold our show in the mall too
and lots of people have joined/started growing irises because of it. I
introduced a rather large family to iris growing this year too. Actually
last -- by giving them the Winter Olympics rhizome you sent as an extra
(I already had a clump of it), and when it bloomed, they were hooked!
They couldn't come to the sale, so gave me money to buy them some, which
I did, and we are all very excited about the possibility of next year's
bloom. 	To me this is more fun than the ribbons.

So ya better b'lieve it, shows are important!      my 2 cents    --B.
Barb Johnson			mailto:bdjohnson@atlascomm.net
Near Springfield, SW Missouri	AIS, ISO, HIPS, RIS, MIS
USDA Zone 5b			AIS Region 18 (KS & MO)
Learn the natural way to health at    http://chetday.com