Re: AIS: The Iris Show..Some Thoughts

From: "Dell Perry" <Dellp@gwmail.plano.gov>

   You are NOTwrong.  The Iris Society of Dallas (automatically think "Destiny Dallas - AIS 2000 National Convention - must go...must go")  thinks the same way (there are a few real competitors in our midst, also). Especially when the weather has been more than mean to us, we will bring anything blooming, show quality or not, just to have something for the public to see.  This is the best mass advertisement for our sales. We take pre-sale orders at the show. What better time to 'buy' an iris than when you see it. All orders are subject to availability and substitution if the customer so indicates. We then publish a list of the 'want' irises so the members can commit to bringing them to the order-filling people when that time comes. Customers are told a ballpark cost, and we collect the money when we deliver (they usually drop by the sale to pick them up, and buy MORE while they are there.)  It has proven a successful venture.

I, for one seem to always 'push' the medians, both at the shows and the sales.  It works...give them a bonus/freebie median that is a known good grower, and they are back next year wanting more of 'those cute little ones'; or when they say iris are beautiful, but the bloom season is too short for the trouble, I tell them my garden has bloom from beginning of March until mid May, because of the reticulatas, medians, LA's, Spurias, etc... and then again in the fall from the rebloomers,...they get really interested.
I have been expanding, slowly, my breadth of irisdom: a few struggling arils, I pallida, Paltec, Tectorum - alba and 'blue'; and hope to retry Siberians this year (the last batch just up and croaked) along with I.cristata for the third time...it does not like my area of Texas I guess.

I enjoy shows. They can be fun unless you take them as life of death events. They are a great socializing time...see members you don't see often, meet (and recruit) new members to your club, and you get to show off your hard work, be it commercial cultivars or irises of your own making.
 But most of all a show is P.R.

)>>> "John Bruce" <jbruce@infinet.com> 12/07 10:32 AM >>>
From: "John Bruce" <jbruce@infinet.com>

Iris shows, in my experience, are more than just
competitions. They are advertisements. ......
Just my opinion, I could be wrong.