Re: CULT: Naming the Good Garden Irises

From: "John Bruce" <jbruce@infinet.com>

I think it was a great idea to conduct the survey that Anner and Donald
started. There were responses from lismembers who hardly ever post,
and from iris folk who are not even members of the list.

When the survey started, it was a "just for fun" thing, which helped precipitate
the responses from everyone, including the "lurkers" and non-listers.
While the bulk of the responses were on-list, I assume there were some that
were directly to Anner or Donald, and thus private, not public domain.

The list of late has been very interesting, as opposed to the mundaneness
which all lists experience from time to time. The survey has been ONE of the things
which has heightened interest.  I too would urge that this not become a political
tool. I fear there are many who contributed to the survey that would find this
a violation of the original spirit of the exercise.  Statistically, the results are
invalid for broad interpretation in a publication such as the Bulletin--the sample is
far too small and the responses are almost  certainly weighted heavier to
some regions.  Publishing and debating the results could easily result in
squabbles/debates that would be based on shaky conclusions at best.

Now will someone please come and remove the soapbox before I am shot
off it? <G>
John Bruce   jbruce@infinet.com
President, Miami Valley Iris Society
AIS Region 6 - SSI - HIPS