AIS: TB vs. non-TB

From: "Mark, Maureen" <MARKM@tc.gc.ca>

I can't stand it anymore.  I am going to wade in.

AIS is doing the best job it can given the varied interests of its members.
And in my opinion, the organization has made progress.  But like most
organizations, progress is made in small steps.

As I recall, there was a push a while ago to get more articles and photos
into the Bulletin so that it would reflect the interests of members better.
And as others have noted, a number of changes were implemented so that it
would be possible for a non-TB to win the Dykes.

And don't forget, anything we want the AIS to deliver requires resources --
namely volunteers.  As I have found in any volunteer organization, if you
want something done, you have to make a commitment of your own time to see
it through.  So if you want a symposium to represent all irises, someone has
to volunteer to prepare the ballot and coordinate tabulation of the results.
Getting the board to agree is much easier if you have it all set up and all
they have to do is say YES.

I could say more, but I'll get off the soapbox now.

By the way, I have spent many years on non-profit boards and expect that I
will do my time with AIS sometime in the future.

Maureen Mark
Ottawa, Canada (zone 4)