Re: Re: Popularizing non-TB iris

From: StorYlade@aol.com

In a message dated 12/06/1999 10:12:34 PM Central Standard Time,
dkramb@badbear.com writes:

<< #4) Shows
    I don't like 'em.  Flowers are more valuable to me for hybridizing
 than for winning a ribbon.  I'd rather spend the day in the garden pollen
 daubing than grooming and fussing over something that's going to be gone
 soon anyways. >>

I concur on this feeling.  I'd much rather be in my own garden among the
irises I love the most!  However, IF you want the popularization of something
(non-tb's) you can't stick it in a corner and sit on it.  (Or stick it under
a barrel) People have to become familiar with something before they come to
like or love it.

Thus, the iris community gave birth to the spectacular iris shows.  Rumor has
it the budding iris growers devised the show as a way to popularize the
product they grew.  Still, for those who want to popularize any type of iris
it's hard to beat the shows.

Betty in BG KY, voting for public gardens, operated by local clubs, as the
answer to much of these problems.  I'm sure our club would grow non-beardeds
in the two empty rows we have if someone asked them to and/or maybe donated
some iris to the garden.