Re: Popularizing non-TB iris (definition of AB?)

  • To: <iris-talk@onelist.com>
  • Subject: Re: Popularizing non-TB iris (definition of AB?)
  • From: "William Groth" <groth@rice.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 17:40:53 -0600

From: "William Groth" <groth@rice.edu>

Hello Dennis,

I have to ask what is AB ?

I looked at our original list of abbreviations and that one was not there.
LA's I understood.

I wonder somewhat about the problem of the inclination of a society for a
specific type within
there purview i.e. TB's over LA's, SIB's, BULB, or any other because it
tends to discourage
the novices who live in what is sometimes considered a hostile environment
for the preferred
type.  I live in Houston, TX and have been told by many that TB's don't do
well down here because
of the mild winters and the heat and humidity in summer.  Supposedly the
LA's and several types
of species Irises and other Irids (Moreae and Dietes) do thrive.  My problem
would be if I ask the
AIS are they going to tell me "Sorry, TB's MED's, MDB's etc. don't grow
where you live." (??)

It took me years before I ventured into roses for that very same reason.  I
like plants which thrive
on benign neglect and I often heard that raising roses required a great deal
of time for those
HT's (Hybrid Teas).  To my surprise I found that there are other roses than
HT's and as it turns
out the Antiques and miniatures will do well here with minimal care.  I have
been able to remain
organic and use those roses for culinary purposes as well as show.