Cult: Betty's survey list

From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>

Hello Folks,

Betty (in Bowling Green), who confesses to a penchant for
a pretty face in an iris (and don't we all?) was giving some
suggestions for water conservation in the garden and this
was her list.  I had permission to post it earlier to the list in
general, but haven't gotten around to doing so until now.  I
think this is the only list which came to me privately?  I have
received some positive private comments concerning this
thread, so hope everyone now has access to what is being
compiled.  Enjoy!

From: StorYlade@aol.com <StorYlade@aol.com>

>Donald,
>
>As I mentioned in an earlier post on this subject, I think there are many
>reasons for an iris to be on ones FAVORITES list.  Reasons that have
nothing
>to do with how well an iris grows across/around the country/world.  I feel
>this is true with other iris lovers too--as evidenced by the complaints
about
>irises that made the DYKES list without being 'growable' much of anywhere.
>When it comes to the Symposium, I vote for what I like IF it grows in my
>region.  Even reasonably well.
>
>There is a big difference in what I would grow and what I would vote for as
>judge. I may not always agree with the rules, but I believe in following
>them, until they are changed.  Until last fall, I grew over 800
>varieties and that didn't include my seedlings.  Regrouping is quite hard.
>
>I grow irises in raised beds--have for years.  Most grow well for me, as
long
>as I am able to devote the time and resources required.  Irises that
require
>more lime--a typical problem with some irises (RUFFLED BALLET for one) can
>be side dressed with lime and will bloom beautifully.
>
>However, some of the irises I mentioned earlier do grow as weeds
here--DUSKY
>CHALLENGER (awesome growth with huge rhizomes), SILVERADO & SONG OF NORWAY,
>also VICTORIA FALLS, CHERUB'S SMILE, & BORN TO EXCEED. Others I have grown
>with raised beds and special care--KILT LILT, HINDENBURG, BEFORE THE STORM,
>EDITH WOLFORD, & BEVERLY SILLS. Still, results with these can be sporadic,
>and, if gardenability is the criteria >then none of the latter are on my
list despite >their beauty.  I am currently
>growing EW in potting soil in a 15 inch pot with automatic drain and it is
>growing great, as I'm sure it does in it's native CA.
>
>Many grow well here that I do not particularly like, either because of the
>color or branching.  (ROMAN LOVER & JEWELED STARLIGHT fit this
>category--others adore these irises and they both grow VERY well here.)
For
>years, I bought irises that rebloomed with little regard for their beauty.
>Many are the basis for most of my own seedlings--FEEDBACK, EARL OF ESSEX,
>PINK ATTRACTION, IMMORTALITY, CORN HARVEST, & LEMON REFLECTION, ETC.

>My favored iris list

>CLARENCE is on my list; however, I wish it branched better.
>
>CASCADE SPRINGS-I'm currently babying this in hopes of increase and lush
>bloom next year.  GORGEOUS.
>
>PROUD TRADITION-my all time favorite, although it could grow a little
better.

>HONKY TONK BLUES-Still in a trance from the first year.  It bloomed three
>stalks on a first year clump (straight from Schreiners), and does well most
>of the time for me.
>
>BLACKOUT--am still in awe over a clump of this in bloom.  Wish it had
>branching. Love the wide falls and the blue beards.
>
>SUMMER RADIANCE- (LEMON REFLECTION X HINDENBURG) A brilliant yellow that
>throws stalks in June & July is fast becoming a favorite of mine.  (It's
also
>one of my own, but currently in short supply--long story)
>
>REBOUND-has a rebloom stalk growing now that will be frozen out next week.
>>From another of my favorite irises--HIGHLAND CHIEF.  Could have better
>branching but it's a pretty clump--gardenability.  I saved a brown plicata
>from this cross.
>
>HOT STREAK-Another all time favorite.  It grows like a weed in a local
>friend's garden, but has been less than good for me.  Trying it again this
>year.
>
>GOOD VIBRATIONS-I think this may become a favorite, but can't say for sure
>yet.
>
>BREAKERS-grows well here as it does most everywhere.  Saved a reblooming
>seedling from this and VIOLET RETURNS.
>
>PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE-love the blue beards on this.  Also used this in breeding
. >. . blue bearded whites (for form).  Strange thing about my breeding
>program--if I like it I try to turn it into a rebloomer!
>
>LACED COTTON-doesn't grow . . . multiply . . . well enough, but will have
>do until something better comes along.  Also used in breeding.
>
>MY VALENTINE-can't forget this type of white.  Red beards.  My favorite
type
>of white.  (Really like Christmas Rubies best.  The beard is fat and
bright,
>but the branching is AWfull.)
>
>LIME FIZZ.--A part of my first iris order.  From the 50's, it was dropped
>from the symposium about the time I bought it.  Just got it back this year
>from Vince.  Love the brilliance and the lace.  (Crossed this with
>BUTTERSCOTCH BRONZE the first year I made crosses.  It produced a tightly
>laced brown with texture veining that was gorgeous, but it declined and
died.
> Too bad.  LIME FIZZ in brown!)
>
>LADY FRIEND--the best growing red in this part of the country.  Used this
in
>a line intended to produce a red rebloomer.  Lost the seedling when I
moved.
>Was great.
>
>RINGO-I'm really not that crazy about this iris, BUT I like the color
pattern
>and nothing else grows well here.  Have SO FINE but it is not increasing
>well.  Have a couple of new ones this year--time will tell.
>
>MAGIC MAN & TWIST OF FATE--neither of these grow worth a darn here, BUT
their
>presence in a garden is breathtaking.  TOF in the early garden and MM in
the
>late garden.
>
>There are as many reasons to have favorites as there are people and irises.
>I'm a sucker for 'pretty' and/or unique irises.  You may notice that most
of
>my favorites are older.  I've bought a lot of newer irises and some have
been
>OKAY.  When I moved I had to leave most of my irises behind.  When I
decided
>to build another bed and buy more irises, I found myself ordering the ones
>liked--without regard of age.  I rebought BLACKOUT (old) & DOROTHY DAVIS
>(fairly new).  Why?   Because I like them. I also bought SEA POWER.  Why?
It