Re: CULT:iris in hypertufa troughs

From: DWiris@aol.com

In a message dated 12/7/99 10:21:01 AM Eastern Standard Time, cris@netcom.ca

<< Please comment of the adviseability of growing some small species Iris in
 these containers, and send ANY specific suggestions, plz. >>

I have been wanting to try some troughs and have instructions for making
them, but I can't seem to get everything together to start the project.
However, we have been growing MDBs and SDBs in hollowed out tufa rocks.
These rocks must be alkaline, because they are basically limestone.  The
dwarf irises do very well there, but must have the nutrients replenished from
time to time or they will peter out.  We also grow many dwarf irises in rock
gardens constructed of tufa rock. These are good places to combine irises
with dwarf poppies, dianthus, thymes, potentillas, sempervivums, etc.  I.
cristatas and dwarf I. setosas grow well there for a few years and then
suddenly disappear.  Hope this helps.

Dorothy Willott

Dorothy Willott