re: Iris Shows

From: Chad Schroter <Chad.Schroter@quantum.com>

	I have been both a youth and adult participant in many Iris shows.
The competition for ribbons was more interesting when I was a youth - now I
find it kind of embarrassing. I see the need for expert judging of seedlings
of course as a separate issue. My own interest would be to see a different
sort of 'incentive' for club members to bring in iris. My own incentive is
to share iris with others, and I try to bring in new or unusual Iris that
others may not have seen. I am not heavily into grooming or other tricks to
improve the show qualities beyond the grasp of the casual observer. I have
found that some of our club members are turned off by this aspect of the
show, coupled with the judging, and hence decline to participate; Though
they will happily man the booth or make a decorative arrangement. For me the
best result from a show is measured by the number of inquires or requests
for starts I get from the Iris I have brought.

Chad Schroter