Re: MDB: HYB: southern exposure

From: linda Mann <lmann@mailhub.icx.net>

Dennis Kramb asked:
> How far south do MDBs reliably grow?  They do fine for me in Zone 6.  But
> what about Zone 7?  Zone 8?

Here in zone 7bish, where iris survival can sometimes be more like
survival in zone 8, I have always heard that MDBs will not do well.  I
have tried a few off and on and they have died, but I was not paying any
attention to genetic makeup, source, or anything else - just impulse
buying.  Is GREEN SPOT an MDB or an SDB?  I killed it, but didn't give
it half a chance and would like to try it again sometime.  (Add that to
my list of irises I regret losing)

The Couturiers grow a few of them in Knoxville about 50 miles north of
me - they are in zone 7a & have acid clay soil.  I've seen the little
cuties blooming in clumps.  So at least some will do ok in zone 7.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7b, like northern Mississippi,
Georgia, Alabama.  Looking forward to trying some of the favorites
listed from those places.

*** Make holiday parties more fun, less stress ***
Try seeUthere.com: the easier way to organize great events.
Click on <a href=" http://clickme.onelist.com/ad/$s ">FREE