Sent: Thursday, December 09, 1999 5:05 AM
Subject: [iris-talk] Re: re: The great TB conspiracy --The existance of Sections

The mere fact that there are so many sections in the AIS suggests that
there is complacency, if not conspiracy. I do not know the history of
the development of the sections, but for it to occur, logically one
would think that a group of AIS members felt that the organization was
not meeting their needs and formed a section. Ultimately, that
arrangement must have had the blessing of the AIS.

I have never been comfortable with the Section structure, because it
tends to further isolate those members, especially since their
publications do not have wide distribution. There are many plants that I
simply will not be able to grow in my lifetime, but that doesn't mean I
don't have an interest and should not be informed. At this point, for an
additional $61 per year,  I can join nine sections and  two cooperating
societies. IMO, this arrangement is not conducive to promoting the genus

I belong to a professional society that has "sections". When you join,
you opt into one or more sections. All section and society activities
are reported in a newsletter which is distributed to the entire society.
The society journal consists of articles relating to the profession, but
not the society. This arrangement is less cumbersome and gets the
information where it needs to go in a timely manner.

Off my soap box.

R. Dennis Hager
on Delmarva (Zone 6-7)
where the JI and Siberian foliage was cut back yesterday (at last)

Click Here