Re: LA: SPEC: Popularizing non-TB iris

From: "Colleen Modra" <irises@senet.com.au>

I give quite a few talks on irises to various garden clubs and include all
the various main types(Dutch, PC, Sib, La, JI, Sp, TM, MB, Ar, DB, Ev), that
they are likely to see in gardening magazines and explain which ones are or
are not likely to grow in their area. The most common response is that of"I
never knew there were so many types of irises". I always stress that there
is an iris for every soil type ane climate. I'd dearly like to get hold of
those gardening book writers that make blanket statements such as "Iris like
acid soils" or "Irises like well drained soil" I guess it's up to us to
write to the publishers to complain when we see misleading comments such as
these. Then there are the people who have some knowledge of the varities but
not their growing conditions. I had a call from a landscaper yesterday about
the supply of a large number of La for a housing display village (The La
were specified by the architect). The area they wanted to put them in was an
area I knew was red alkaline clay (about 8.5) and while they were going to
bring in some soil, it was just std soil and besides which the Adealide
mains water tends to be rather alkaline. I did suggest bearded and Sp.
I guess that it's just a matter of continually speaking about what a diverse
species irises are.

Colleen Modra