From: "Dan & Marilyn Mason" <dmason@rainyriver.lakeheadu.ca>

Dec. 8, Jeff Walters in northern Utah wrote:

<My setosas grown from SIGNA seed, which were doing fine while
they remained potted,  have shown a serious distaste for the
neutral to slightly alkaline soil and water in my garden.>

The first time I grew I. Setosa, the seeds I planted in the
greenhouse in the spring came up well and grew well. Then later in
the summer when I hardened them off and put them directly into the
garden without disturbing the roots, they died within a couple
weeks despite watering.

That was only half of my seeds for this variety of iris, though.
The other half of the seeds I had planted into the garden as
early as the ground could be worked in the spring. These
outdoor seedlings emerged over a much longer time frame
than the seeds planted in the greenhouse, but they grew well,
flowered the second year, despite some limestone in my soil
and much lime in the well water.

This particular Setosa (Hookeri- BLUE LIGHTS) is less than a foot
tall, makes attractive small clumps of foliage, attractive flowers
though not a lot of them. It would probably be suitable for
planting in containers or troughs.

Photos of this iris:

Dan Mason  zone 3, NW Ontario

*** Plan great parties and help the homeless ***
Plan an event on seeUthere.com, we donate a meal to the homeless.
Click on <a href=" http://clickme.onelist.com/ad/sut2 ">FREE OFFER</a>