Re: AIS: Domination of the TB

From: Gmbeasle@aol.com

In a message dated 12/09/1999 12:28:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
HIPSource@aol.com writes:
>  << A conspiracy would suggest that AIS started out with the intention of
>  having sections as being separate.  I doubt that is true.>>

Someone suggested that this was similar to a stamp collecting society.

I would suggest that it is closer to what we have in horses with the AHSA
(American Horse Show Association).  Most of the people who showed horses
showed hunters.  I'd say 80% of all horse shows were basically hunter shows.
The non-hunter people constantly complained that AHSA didn't address their
needs, because it was true.  So various people  who did other kinds of horse
showing (eventing, dressage, paso finos, Arabians, etc.) formed associations
which were reluctantly made part of the AHSA.

The AHSA gives awards each year for Horse of the Year (based not on judges
votes but on points earned at shows),  but the section awards are often more
meaningful because not all the shows are AHSA recognized.  In the big
divisions you get points chasers.

So you really have it a lot better  with the AIS than you think.

When mother first got into iris, we would go to the New England garden tours
(we lived in RI then- this was about 1972), and one of the gardens belonged
to Fred Gadd.  IIRC, his garden was the first one where I ever saw an aril.
I loved them, and if I'm not mistaken, a lot of medians are part aril aren't
they?

Unfortunately, I was told that I'd have to do much more work to grow them
than I was willing to do.

I did experiment a little - we had pseudacorus growing wild, and I had MTB,
DB, IB, TB, and I think Japanese, and Spuria.  Then we moved in late 1973,
and I left most of them behind.