Re: CULT: Favorite 'Lost' Irises

From: Irisacher@aol.com

Well, I've certainly tossed/lost a few I wish I hadn't.  3 come to mind real
quick.  The first was AZURE APOGEE (Durrance,1967) which was a wonderful blue
garden iris.  Floriferous, vigorous, nice color.  Its downfall was that it
bloomed before our show season and didn't really make show stalks and I was
happily collecting blue ribbons at that time.  Not that there's anything
wrong with that....but I do wish now I had left in place rather than
attempting to replace it with a likely blue ribbon winner.

Another lost one I haven't seem lately is DUSKY EVENING (Schreiner, 1971)
Very hard to describe it's coloring.  Standards sort of a gray, with blue
tones.  Falls are dark, blue/black/brown.  A somber iris.  And ....it only
bloomed here about 1 yr. out of three....I think it would have preferred more
heat and milder winters, perhaps.  Shoulda kept it anyway, as I liked the
coloring that much.  Oh, well....live and learn!  Or not, as the case may be.

And one more real regret.  I have no idea what it was...it was "rescued" from
an old homesite.  The houses had been gone for some years, and the irises
were struggling in the grass....just surviving, not blooming.  This
particular rhizome bloomed a bitone yellow.  About the size of an IB, but
with somewhat finer bones.  Quite flaring falls, but older form otherwise.
Its most incredible traits were growth and vigor.  Well, in one of my moves I
discarded it because I didn't know its name and figured I could never find
out and space was not plentiful.  I have a picture of it (and memory), but
that is all.  Sure do wonder what it was!

Cheers,
Dorothy Stiefel
Dryden, NY Zone 5

Your opinion counts, and we'll reward you for it!
Win Prizes! Join the ZOOMERANG Internet survey panel today.
It's confidential, easy, and fun!