CULT: Plant ID's

From: Haggstroms <hagg@alaska.net>

This subject may have come up prior to this time on the list, but a
search of the archives hasn't produced anything, possibly through my
using the incorrect search words.

I'm trying to come up with a practical numbering/ID system for my
unnamed iris. I have formerly given them a simple number based on their
position in one of three plots, but that changes yearly, and I've been
experiencing problems IDing old photos, seed, etc, if the plant's
location changes or even if the planting expands (which it does every
year). I cannot ID roughly half of them by parentage, i.e., Alaska Wine
X Alaska Flag, because they are collected specimens.

Does anyone have a tried and true way to ID plants which have no names,
but need to be kept track of  for breeding purposes, etc?  I have
considered letter initials of their source site, along with year (such
as SF95 for Susitna Flats/'95) followed by other distinguishing numbers
or letters (number series, such as 1,2,3 etc, for a finished ID of
SF951, or dspl for "duck shack pink #1" for a finished ID of SF95dsp1),
but wonder if I will run into unforeseen problems with this system. At
the present it sounds the simplest and most practical, and I'm leaning
toward my first example of using only a number series after the
source/date ID. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Kathy Haggstrom
Anchorage, AK USA