Re: CULT:Setosa:Troughs

From: Haggstroms <hagg@alaska.net>

Dan & Marilyn Mason wrote:

> The first time I grew I. Setosa, the seeds I planted in the
> greenhouse in the spring came up well and grew well. Then later in
> the summer when I hardened them off and put them directly into the
> garden without disturbing the roots, they died within a couple
> weeks despite watering.
>
> That was only half of my seeds for this variety of iris, though.
> The other half of the seeds I had planted into the garden as
> early as the ground could be worked in the spring. These
> outdoor seedlings emerged over a much longer time frame
> than the seeds planted in the greenhouse, but they grew well,
> flowered the second year, despite some limestone in my soil
> and much lime in the well water.
>
> This particular Setosa (Hookeri- BLUE LIGHTS) is less than a foot
> tall, makes attractive small clumps of foliage, attractive flowers
> though not a lot of them.

Dan -
I looked at the hookeri BLUE LIGHTS you mentioned. That's a cute little one.
The hookeri I'm growing isn't as attractive as that.

Any ideas why your first crop died? It was kind of puzzling, considering
there didn't seem to be many adverse circumstances that weren't present for
the second batch also. I would consider the alkaline environment
detrimental, but a few have indicated their setosas are doing okay in spite
of the presence of limestone. I would have thought most people would be
experiencing Jeff Walter's problem.

How hot was it when you transplanted the first crop into the ground?  I tend
to have problems transplanting even mature clumps in the middle of the
summer, though they rarely flat-out die as yours did.

One other question - do your setosa experience any yellowing from your
alkaline soil?

Kathy Haggstrom
Anch, AK USA

Got a question about boating? Skiing? Rollerblading? Fishing?
Ask a real expert at www.ExpertCentral.com
With over 4700 experts, the Web's largest question and answer resource