Re: CULT: Plant ID's

From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>

>From: Haggstroms <hagg@alaska.net>
>I'm trying to come up with a practical numbering/ID system for my
>unnamed iris.  [.....]  I have
>considered letter initials of their source site, along with year (such
>as SF95 for Susitna Flats/'95) followed by other distinguishing numbers
>or letters (number series, such as 1,2,3 etc, for a finished ID of
>SF951, or dspl for "duck shack pink #1" for a finished ID of SF95dsp1),
>but wonder if I will run into unforeseen problems with this system.
>Does anyone have a tried and true way to ID plants which have no names,
>but need to be kept track of  for breeding purposes, etc?

Dear Kathy,

I faced this problem for the first time this year in trying to figure out
how to number my seedlings.  To be honest, I don't have a good "formula"
yet myself.  Your situation is a little different in that you are trying to
catalogue collected varieties instead of home grown seedlings.

I like the ID system that you mentioned above.  The only possible drawback
that I can foresee is if you have two places with the same initials like
Susitna Flats & San Francisco, for example.  Otherwise it should work great.

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com