Re: CULT: Plant ID's

From: IRISROT@aol.com

In a message dated 12/11/1999 8:02:03 PM Central Standard Time,
dkramb@badbear.com writes:

> From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>
>
>  >From: Haggstroms <hagg@alaska.net>
>  >
>  >I'm trying to come up with a practical numbering/ID system for my
>  >unnamed iris.  [.....]  I have
>  >considered letter initials of their source site, along with year (such
>  >as SF95 for Susitna Flats/'95) followed by other distinguishing numbers
>  >or letters (number series, such as 1,2,3 etc, for a finished ID of
>  >SF951, or dspl for "duck shack pink #1" for a finished ID of SF95dsp1),
>  >but wonder if I will run into unforeseen problems with this system.
>  >
>  >Does anyone have a tried and true way to ID plants which have no names,
>  >but need to be kept track of  for breeding purposes, etc?

Hi Dennis,

I use 99-1, 99-2 and etc., etc., for that year regardless of the year of
cross. I also have a stud book with all crosses to refer back in case I need
too. I also make that notation in my stud book so there won't be a problem
later on....Dave Niswonger uses this system so if it worked for him I figure
it'll work for me. He starts with the first iris which would be in his case
SDB's right on up to the beardless. I don't know about other but if I see a
one year bloom I like I will relocate that seedling as soon as possible to
give it more growing room. I know Dave leaves his in the spot for two bloom
seasons. But I want as much increase as possible if it does turn out to be a
nice seedling. I figure by moving and lining it out the first year I am one
year ahead of myself.

                    Jim LOveland, Fenton, MO just west of St. Louis