RE: CULT: Plant ID's

From: "J.F. Hensler" <hensler@povn.com>

From: Haggstroms <hagg@alaska.net>

I'm trying to come up with a practical numbering/ID system for my unnamed
iris. <<<

I'm not sure how practical it is, but this is most of the system I use for
seedling ID:

Since there's no way to mistake a Siberian for a psuedacorus, I don't worry
about noting the species on the marker. (Each one does have its own
separate section in my record books, though.) Species crosses get a colored
marker. Everyone else's is white.

A batch of TB babies in the garden carry the code 97SPxGM with individual
ID numbers 1 through 5 added onto the end. If I had two TBs with the
initials of SP it would include an extra letter to help keep things
straight.. 97SePxGM. Without looking it up in the book I know that a
seedling with the tag 97SPxGM1 was from a 1997 cross of Secret Plan (pod)
and Gallant Moment (pollen) and was the first of the batch to bloom that
wasn't composted.

Collected irises don't get a year designation, just an ID number or a "g
arden name" (something so goofy, there's no way it would be registered
prefixed by "rg" (short for Rock Garden). A photo and description in the
notebook helps keep things straight.

Christy Hensler

Newport, WA z4b