SPEC:Setosa:Transplanting Seedlings

From: "Dan & Marilyn Mason" <dmason@rainyriver.lakeheadu.ca>

Dec. 11 - Kathy Haggstrom Anch, AK USA wrote:

<Any ideas why your first crop [I. Setosa - Hookeri BLUE LIGHTS
greenhouse started seedlings] died? >
------------------------

No, I don't know why my greenhouse seedlings died when
transplanted, but the seedlings planted directly in garden
survived. The greenhouse seedlings were thinner. My potting soil
was mostly peat moss with some vermiculite added for drainage. I
rarely lose plants of any kind from transplanting. It was in mid
summer, but the location had afternoon shade, they were hardened
off gradually before transplanting, and I watered them.

I've never tried starting iris seedlings in the greenhouse again.
Since, I've planted seeds directly into the ground, in the fall,
just before freezeup. I've never experienced yellowing of Setosa
seedlings, or older Setosas.

BLUE LIGHTS is the only mature east coast Setosa that I have. The
west coast Setosas I've grown so far have been much taller and
larger, larger flowers. Here's a question for Kathy or anyone
else:

Are there west coast I. Setosas that compare in dwarf or compact
habit to the east coast Setosa - Hookeri? Perhaps in some
windswept exposed location?

Dan Mason  zone 3, NW Ontario
dmason@rainyriver.lakeheadu.ca