Re: CULT: Plant ID's

From: "Colleen Modra" <irises@senet.com.au>

Hi Kathy

My system is fairly simple but working so far. I don't number my crosses
until planting out time. Th first year of the sytem was year A and the first
cross planted was 01. So this was logged as A01 and in my computer with the
actual cross. Then as each one flowered it was given a secondary ID (I now
number as I transplant)
So A08-01 (Aztec Burst x Satin Knight) was my first seedling to flower from
this cross. If I crossed A08-01 with A12-07 then that cross recieved its own
number eg D46 etc. I log all my crosses on a database which was designed for
company records along with individual employees. So A08 became the company
and all the individual crosses the employees. That way when I call up A08 I
get a summary of all the off spring from that cross.  I know of no viable
way to use the actual parent names in cross numbers. Most people seem to use
either a letter or year (96, 97,etc) as a prefix to numbering. Some people
actually number from the pollination, but since only about a third take, I
don''t do this. You however have to keep a separate record of what each
cross is. I fairly paranoid about labels getting lost. So each pot of seeds
has the actual cross written on it as well as the ID number, number of seeds
and dates planted. I log the crosses into a note book as I plant out and
transfer to my computer later. So I have the cross recorded in 3 different
places (I said I was paranoid) The pot record is tranferred to the garden
when planted out.
I planted out about 75 different crosses last yearand some of those had up
to 40 seeds germinate. I'm struggling to keep up with the management of the
seedlings. (why is it so easy to do a cross and forget just how much work is
involved in tracking it for 4-5 years) I'm only half way through
transplanting this springs seedlings. (oh well there's the Christmas
holidays gone)

I'm sure this system could as easily be used for unnamed ones as well. Thus
your first plant obtained for the year would be 9901 (or A01) etc. Then log
the full details on your database or in a notebook. etc

The best hint is never, ever beleive, "I don't have to write that down, I'll
remember" coz you won't and I don't even have old-timers disease yet.

Coleen Modra. South Australia, where the weather is contining to be
extremely mild, we've barely started to irrigate yet.