Re: Re:HYB: Seed

From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>

>I just received seed catalog from major southern source. Was very surprised
>to see they were listing Japanese Iris SEED for sale. Also was listed as
>HARDY.
>Also Siberian seed was listed. Extra hardy, maintenance free plants.
>Any comments on this?

Both Japanese and Siberian irises are extremely cold-hardy; the founding
species of the Japanese group being found in NE Siberia.  Seed of these
types of irises is often offered in catalogs; T&M have offered both for
years, also Parkseed.  I've never tried them because you can get the same
and perhaps better seed from SIGNA for a fraction of the commercial price.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943