Re: OT: MOON ON 12/22 attn:Lynn

From: Gerry Snyder <gcsnyd@loop.com>

"Title, CDR Lynn A." wrote:

> > >And look up tonight for the Geminid meteor shower. Should start around 9:45
> > >PM, and be best at around 2 AM - but meteor showers are as variable as
> > >rainshowers, so it's worth looking anytime around that band. Enjoy!
> >
> > >Lynn
>
> >Ah Lynn, what time zone is the 9:45 pm you mention above?  Where are you
> >located?
>
> >Glenn
>

> Sorry -- I'm in the DC area -- that's EST, Monday night, so folks farther
> west won't have to stay up so late (or get up in the middle of the night, as
> I did for last month's Leonid showers)

It doesn't work that way. The Geminids have a broad peak activity
period. The peak for any locale is when Gemini is high in the sky. The
9:45 to 2:00 period is true on the east coast, it's true on the west
coast, it's true in Europe, ....

So I'm sorry, but 2:00 AM local will be the peak no matter where you
are.

Cheers,

Gerry
--