CULT: List Survey

From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>

Hello Folks,

I'm finished with compiling the survey.  What a chore!  Several
stops and start-overs.  Not too good at copying and pasting, it
seems.

Now that I've done the best I can, I feel like acquiring some
WHITE LIGHTNING, picking up a STREET WALKER and having
a BLAST.  All within the confines of the iris garden, of course.

Thanks to everyone for the help they gave when I asked them.  And
for the suggestions offered.  It's not perfect.  I could never find a way
to get all the info logged on that I would have liked, but for me at
least, it is a usable list.  Absolutely killed my wish list which was
getting in reasonable bounds!

Rita Butler advised that her list should have contained FALL FIESTA
(Schreiner TB, '92) instead of FALL FESTIVAL.  Dan Mason advised
his list should have been ORVILLE FAY, SIB instead of SHIRLEY
POPE.  That is all that don't appear in the archives, I think.

Also, there are likely to be inaccuracies due to typos, misspellings
etc., but I hope I've managed to keep these to a minimum.  I simply
did not attempt to double check the postings per submitted name.
If I didn't have a reason to question the entry, I didn't check.  Also,
I am limited by the material to check against here at home, so thanks
to all the catalog suppliers.  I always knew the piles of catalogs would
serve a purpose other than emptying my bank account.

Still, now that it is done, I don't quite know what to do with it as far as
Iris-Talk is concerned.  It is too long to post and would require an
attachment to do so.  Ideally, it would get parked in the Archives in
association with the original posts by list members, but I don't know
how to get it there.

What I can offer to those interested is to send it to them per their
requests if they would like to see it.  I can even sort it per their
preferences.  Currently, for my use it is sorted by type (e.g. IB, JI,
La), then by # of mentions, then in alpha order.  It can be sorted by
# mentions first; a simple alpha list (this works really well if you want
to clump the 'I. species' forms together).  It can be sorted by historic,
rebloom, or space age as a sort feature.  All the mentions are
indicated by state rather than by zone.  Neither is ideal, but the
private posts favoring states over zones prevailed.  This is not a
sortable field, unfortunately.  But you can identify the areas of the
country where a cultivar earned a mention(s).  This may not be too
bad, since some states (like Texas and Oklahoma) have a wide
difference east and west; north and south in terms of rainfall.  Other
areas are more uniform.  Anyway, it's how it is done. A search of
the name in the Archives may reveal the zone or not, but it should
indicate the submitter and perhaps they might provide the zone if
that is required.  Also, I omitted the cultivars with no known name.
I loved reading about them and believe they deserved to be mentioned,
but I thought they would be hopeless on the wish list since I had no
way of identifying them other than begging them off the submitter.
Ah well.

If anyone is interested in the list, contact me off-line at

donald@eastland.net

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7 with one single bloom of HARVEST OF MEMORIES on
the kitchen windowsill.  Now if the I. unguicularis will just start
blooming,
I can make it 'til spring bloom.