Re: OT: MOON ON 12/22 attn:Lynn

From: Gerry Snyder <gcsnyd@loop.com>

John I Jones wrote:

> One of the most memorable sights I ever had was one night when I was
> flying a Navy P3 Orion over the North Pacific out of Adak Alaska. We
> "flew through" a meteor shower. They were coming down all around us, and
> I could see their trails above and below us.

"Below" as used here means "below a horizontal plane going through the
airplane" rather than "inside a sphere concentric with the Earth passing
through the airplane." The bright glow of the meteor occurs at an
altitude of something like 40-70 miles; so their altitude was much
greater than yours, even if they were below your apparent horizon.

BTW, was this the meteor storm of '66?

> It was incredible.

I am envious.

> It was only later that I fully considered that one might have hit my
> wingtanks and I would not be here to enjoy my irises...

But you'd be famous!       ;-)

As I remember, there was a dog killed my a meteorite, and a person
injured, but no known human fatalities.

Gerry
--
mailto:gcsnyd@loop.com