Re: HIST: Notes from the Past

From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 12/14/99 11:25:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jcwalters@bridgernet.com writes:

<<  Well, as a matter of fact, we aren't in Kansas anymore. I was led astray
by
 misplaced confidence in the accuracy of my memory, which seems no longer to
 be as justified as it once may have been. >>

Can't speak for Walta but I can totally relate to that. Some of it is the
unholy clutter in my study since I took on HIPSource, but mostly I think it
is the little grey cells petering out.

<<When I  tracked down the copy of my email to the vendor of the catalog, it
turned
out that he was in Pennsylvania - Sharpsville to be exact - which is in the
far northwestern part of the state about 15 miles northeast of Youngstown,
Ohio. I sent an email inquiry to him, asking if he could provide any
information on the provenance of the catalog. He replied promptly, if
somewhat unhelpfully, that he remembered the catalog, but not where he
acquired it>>

Which does not mean that a nice little article could not still be
constructed...Like a detective story.... A discussion of what is known about
the thing and what can be deduced from it....Notes on Mrs. Callis and the
irises she introduced .... One would not have to come to a lot of firm
conclusions, just do a little holistic musing... take a look at the
highpoints of the catalog collection itself .....and then the thoughts of the
annotator ....a little impressionistic riff on your catalog as an
artifact....Might work very well. People like to read stories and HIPS is
about preserving documents, too...

Anner Whitehead
HIPSource@aol.com

Your opinion counts, and we'll reward you for it!
Win Prizes! Join the ZOOMERANG Internet survey panel today.
It's confidential, easy, and fun!