Re: SPEC: Paltec in Oz

From: Mike Lowe <mlowe@worldiris.com>

Jan Clark asks...

>Can someone tell me - was the original PALTEC from I. tectorum X? I
>thought it was the other way around.

Paltec (Denis 1928):	I. tectorum (Maximowicz 1871) X	Edina (Lémon 1840)

It is now and always has been an error to call Edina, I. pallida. It
is, of course, a diploid (24 chr.) and has some undetermined amount
of pallida in its background. However it is very definitely a garden
hybrid and a very interesting one at that. I. pallida is an extremely
early bloomer -- Edina is probably the last TB to bloom in my garden.
(And, I grow some notable 'late ones' out of the the thou or so in my
garden at any given time)

A picture of Edina is on the HIPS website. As far as I know, the
tectorum X Edina cross has never been done again -- most just daub
some nondescript pallida derivative pollen on tectorum.

SOMETHING very interesting took place to give viable seed from that
1928 cross. Denis was one of the premier 'wide cross' hybridizers in
the first part of the 20th century and he had a fine eye for
possibilities. Something about Edina led him to believe that a cross
with it would succeed, while all that had been tried using run of the
mill pallida derivatives failed to set viable seed.

Cheers,

Mike,  mlowe@worldiris.com   --   http://www.worldiris.com
South Central Virginia, USA; USDA Zone 7A