CULT: COMP: List survey - help?

From: linda Mann <lmann@mailhub.icx.net>

I've been trying to patch the data set back together from the non-tabbed
version copied from the archives & have ground to a halt after global
replacing spaces with single tabs, then manually patching the cultivar
names back into a name without tabs in the middle.  At least now it will
sort by type.

For my version, I also manually went thru and eliminated all the ones
that were ONLY reported for California, Australia, Canada, New England,
New Mexico, Oregon, Washington and Virginia (based on all these years of
discussions of which irises do well in those areas and don't do well

Now I want to do a global search and replace to group states by the
regions that seem to 'go together' as far as my wierd growing conditions
are concerned (e.g., west coast, mid-continent, deep south, southeast),
but the states aren't in the same tab delimited columns because "re"
doesn't have a comparable "non-rebloom" tabbed space and "h" doesn't
have a comparable "non-historic" space.

Suggestions for how to fix this without manually entering extra tabs?

For example, if something is both in (New England or Montana or Canada)
AND (California or Oregon or Washington) AND (Texas or Oklahoma or New
Mexico), it will probably do well here even if nobody in Tennessee
'voted' for it, and I'd like to give it a try.  But I'd like to be able
to globally replace in columns (e.g., replace CA with WEST COAST)
without accidentally renaming irises (e.g., CAHOKIA with WEST
COASTHOKIA) in other columns.

Hey!  I may have accidentally come up with a new, easy way to come up
with names for new introductions!

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA