HYB: Germanica as Pod Parent

From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 12/16/99 2:43:51 AM Eastern Standard Time,
janclarx@hotmail.com writes:

<< It was just a feeling I had, that it might produce something with
I.germanica. I have no idea what chromosome count it has. I wonder what
strange offspring it will produce? >>

It will be interesting to see what happens.

I. germanica is a complex and somewhat amorphous species complex, but having
granted that, the literature tells us that pods on 'germanica' are very
unusual and it has been suggested that for all useful purposes it is sterile
as a pod parent. The BIS book says it is accepting of pollen only from bees.

Of course, we always need to mention that 'I.germanica' is a somewhat
amorphous species complex thought to be largely hybrid in origin.

It has been the convention to state that 'I. germanica' has played no role in
the development of modern irises, but the last time I stated same a learned
discussion arose the foundation of which was a Bliss iris called PALLIDIN
from 1919 which was recorded in the 1929, and again in the 1939 checklist as
"germanica x MACRANTHA."

In the 1929 AIS Checklist PALLIDIN was listed as the paternal grandfather of
PIONEER (Bliss, 1924). In the 1939 Checklist a question mark appears beside
it in this position.  Bliss died in 1931, so I observe that it is not
inconceivable that he inserted it himself, but as far as I am aware we do not
know for sure. Note that it is not the parentage of PALLIDIN that received a
question mark.

The discussion which ensued earlier and which you can find in the Archives
showed that the truly knowledgeable can differ in their assessment of the
record. It did not, in my opinion, clearly indicate that a rich untapped
hybridizing potential lay in 'I. germanica' in the form which most typically
carries that name.

Anner Whitehead