Re: CULT: HYB: germanica as parent

From: linda Mann <lmann@mailhub.icx.net>

Anner wrote (summarizing from the archives):
> It did not, in my opinion, clearly indicate that a rich untapped
> hybridizing potential lay in 'I. germanica' in the form which most typically
> carries that name.

Germanica often blooms too early to escape freezes here, but has such
wonderfully robust vegetation and I am so enchanted by the flowers, that
I too was tempted to experiment with crosses and got a few seeds from
RASPBERRY JAM x "germanica" this spring.  I don't expect beaootiful
flowers from this cross, but am very curious as to heredity of toughness
and how it links with other vegetative characteristics.  With only a few
seeds, I don't expect to learn much <G> but wonder if I will get half or
3/4 dwarves <g>, half or 3/4 IBs or is a diploid looking TBish critter
possible?  Surely rediscovering a wheel that was well used more than 100
yrs ago, but my curiousity compels me to play.

I would dearly love a later blooming "germanica" with all other
characteristics the same.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA