HYB: AR: Mohr's Regelia x Germanica Crosses

From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 12/16/99 2:55:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
lmann@mailhub.icx.net writes:

<<  Thanks Anner.  Absolutely wild!  Any indication of why Mohr &
Mohr-Mitchell were trying that cross? >>

They were Mohr's cross. Accomplished in California. Grace Sturtevant
corresponded with him about genetics. Mitchell picked up the dropped flag, as
it were.

As I've said here before, the twenties were a period of extraordinary
hybridizing activity and considerable interest in exotic irises. You may be
interested in ordering a HIPS copy of AIS Bulletin Number 9 which was
dedicated posthumously to Mohr and discusses his work, which included other
unusual crosses.

<< I wonder if either BELLORIO or CARMELO were fertile?>>

There are indications in an article in the above Bulletin that some results
of that cross were fertile. I did not see those names in that context in the
brief skim I did.

<<  Or if they are still around? >>

Don't see any sign of them in the usual documents in which HIPS looks for
signs of survival. The arilfolk may know more.

<<Love to buy those and see what they think of the frostprone rockpile here.

Might have made it, although we don't exactly seem to be overrun with the
things today and that is rarely a positive indicator of exceptional thrift.
CARMELO was said to have been hardy in Massachusettes and Holland. It was a
grey-blue. BELLORIO was described as mouse-colored.

Anyone interested in crosses involving arils and others might find this issue
very interesting. It also contains a great deal of information about bulbous
irises. It is available from Dorothy for five dollars.

You ever tried any Junos down there? Bucharica or magnifica or whatnot?

Anner Whitehead