OT - peony branch

From: "Title, CDR Lynn A." <titlel@spawar.navy.mil>

Help!  Those damned squirrels broke a foot-long branch off my small tree
peony, comprising about a third of its bulk, poor thing.  It came off flush
with the main stem. This happened yesterday evening.
  1) The broken branch has about five buds on it.  Is it worth trying to
root it?  How do I do that? Am I too late?

  2) There's about an inch-square patch of bark missing from the main plant
where the branch had attached.  Should I put tar-type wound dressing on it?
What else do I need to do to rescue the wounded child?

Thanks!

  Lynn