Re: OT - peony branch

From: Glenn Simmons <glsimmon@swbell.net>

"Title, CDR Lynn A." wrote:

> From: "Title, CDR Lynn A." <titlel@spawar.navy.mil>
>
> Help!  Those damned squirrels broke a foot-long branch off my small tree
> peony, comprising about a third of its bulk, poor thing.  It came off flush
> with the main stem. This happened yesterday evening.
>   1) The broken branch has about five buds on it.  Is it worth trying to
> root it?  How do I do that? Am I too late?
>
>   2) There's about an inch-square patch of bark missing from the main plant
> where the branch had attached.  Should I put tar-type wound dressing on it?
> What else do I need to do to rescue the wounded child?
>
> Thanks!
>
>   Lynn

This is no help in answering your question Lynn but it is concerning squirrels.

We have 6 walnut trees, 2 hickory trees, 5 black cherry trees and numerous
other plants that produce berries the squirrels like to eat.  Needless to say,
our yard is a kind of squirrel haven.  We have 2 dogs and 2 cats that enjoy
hunting and eating the squirrels (the cats are by far the better hunters) but
they don't even put a dent in our squirrel population.  We live inside the city
limits so it is against the law to discharge a firearm of course so what are we
supposed to do about the ever increasing squirrel population?

We have to stay on our toes when we plant new irises because the squirrels seem
to enjoy digging our new plantings up and replacing them with nuts.  This is no
joke, the squirrels actually replace what they dig up!  We have found our new
rhizomes any where at any location in our yard and even up in the trees!  This
is bad because the squirrels don't take the labels with them.  We tried tying a
plastic name plate to the rhizome with a piece of copper wire but most of the
time the squirrels will bite through the wire or the plastic label so we find
these also scattered around the yard.  Does anyone have any idea what we need
to do about this problem other than cutting our trees down?

Glenn

--
Glenn, Linda & Matthew Simmons
Springfield, Southwest Missouri, USDA Climate Zone 6

mailto:glsimmon@swbell.net (primary)
mailto:GlennSimmons@netscape.net
mailto:Glenn_Simmons@juno.com

SETI At Home Host: (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence at Home)
SETI needs more home volunteers so if interested check web site below

www.setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/index.html