Re: OT - peony branch

From: John Montgomery <monashee@junction.net>

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, you wrote:
> From: "Title, CDR Lynn A." <titlel@spawar.navy.mil>
>
>   1) The broken branch has about five buds on it.  Is it worth trying to
> root it?  How do I do that? Am I too late?

Tree peonies are notoriously difficult to propagate, ergo, the high prices.
Chance of success is very small but anything can be worth a try.

>   2) There'sabout an inch-square patch of bark missing from the main plant > where the
branch had attached.  Should I put tar-type wound dressing on it? > What else
do I need to do to rescue the wounded child? >

In the past, it was considered to be important to apply a wound dressing.
Currently, the advice to orchardists here is to leave the wound or cut open.
It will heal more quickly.  Apparently the dressing usually traps pathogens
underneath and provides them with an incubator like setup.
I really think the best you vcan do is stand back and hope.  These are very
tough plants and I am sure that in time the damage will not be  evident.

Good luck

John Montgomery
Vernon  BC  Zone 5