Re: OT -(Was peony) Squirrel

From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>

>From: Haggstroms <hagg@alaska.net>
>
>The other method involves poisoned bait, again set in a tree where only the
>squirrels will be able to access it. One usually uses a "varmit" poison,
>available
>through country/hunting/trapping type stores.

Chicken wire makes an effective barrier against them.  I've also used
plastic milkcrates to protect small plants.  It lets the rain & sunlight
in, but keeps the squirrels out until the plants are established.  To
protect large areas, electric fences work well.  And for particularly
obstinate critters, chocolate ex-lax tablets seem to get rid of them once
and for all (works especially well on skunks and raccoons).

Killing for food is one thing, but indiscriminate poisoning is just wrong.
You never know where it will end up.  But I guess on the bright side your
tree peony or $45 rhizome will be safe.

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com
http://www.badbear.com/dkramb/home.html