Re: OT -(Was peony) Squirrel

From: Haggstroms <hagg@alaska.net>

Dennis Kramb wrote:

> Chicken wire makes an effective barrier against them.  I've also used
> plastic milkcrates to protect small plants.  It lets the rain & sunlight
> in, but keeps the squirrels out until the plants are established.  To
> protect large areas, electric fences work well.  And for particularly
> obstinate critters, chocolate ex-lax tablets seem to get rid of them once
> and for all (works especially well on skunks and raccoons).
> Killing for food is one thing, but indiscriminate poisoning is just wrong.
> You never know where it will end up.  But I guess on the bright side your
> tree peony or $45 rhizome will be safe.

Uh-oh, I AM in the dog house with you now, Dennis. I didn't mean to offend your
sensibilities, but the poisoning method is really not indiscriminate at all.
Done correctly (which is the only way any of this should be done) it is very
animal specific, because one uses the knowledge of the squirrel's habits to
target only the problem ones, and the bait is placed on the scent paths of the
specific squirrels away from a bird's view. It is very akin to using mouse bait.
One doesn't toss this out on the lawn or next to an iris plant :-) I didn't mean
to give you that impression, and am glad to correct it if I did.
If someone doesn't know how to do it correctly, it shouldn't be done, as with
anything, but I've never had any problems with it. I think most people would shy
away from such a solution, not being comfortable with it, and that is okay. But
it isn't a "wrong" method - it's tried and true and safe. Don't worry, I'm not
running amuck  - but then I know what I'm doing. The "Ro-Pel" mentioned in
another letter sounds like a nifty solution. I don't even mind trying your
Ex-Lax method - sounds kind of interesting.
But, this is probably more of a philosophical difference issue than actual
"methods" issue, right?
Kathy Haggstrom (definitely building a dog house)
Anch, AK