OT: Squirrels

From: Haggstroms <hagg@alaska.net>

I wrote an e-mail earlier about squirrel "solutions" which  probably
offered inappropriate remedies for problem squirrels. I've received
several private e-mails chastising me, and I'm starting to feel very
badly about writing that e-mail. Dennis Kramb was actually the only one
who mentioned something on-list, but then he wrote a very nice letter
off-list and was very kind. But, it's obvious that my advice was off
base for this situation.

I really had no idea I was offering a fairly offensive solution, and I
truly didn't mean to step on people's feet.

As I said to Dennis Kramb off-list, you have to forgive me for having a
little void in my understanding about certain issues, especially how
they're perceived stateside. I grew up in Alaska with a basically
"subsistence" type lifestyle - shooting game, trapping, mushing dogs,
commercial fishing, harvesting seagull eggs, cutting up seal and whale
(real smelly), smoking fish, flying, etc. I consider myself quite
responsible in my own little eco-niche, don't harvest more than I need,
never trophy hunt, and respect the balance of nature, as it exists where
I live.

BUT, I don't have a grasp on the view of the urban-raised person, who
probably has never had much experience in a true "wild balanced
ecosystem" and thus, has an urbanized view of their relationship with
the critters of the city - squirrels, birds, mice, cats, dogs, etc. And
who's to say that's wrong? For an urban situation, their attitude is
probably correct and appropriate. That view probably shouldn't be
seriously extended to the true wild, AND on my end, I did the same
thing, by extending my view into the urban scene. So, I think I was out
of line suggesting a rural solution to an urban problem.

I apologize for offering an offensive solution to what many see as
welcome additions to their local urban scene. Sorry about that.
Kathy Haggstrom
Anchorage, AK