CONV: HIPS Convention 2000

From: Irisborer@aol.com

Hi Chris and Anner and all the ships at sea......

Yes, there is INDEED a convention in central New York State and in the
immortal words of John, Paul, George and Ringo:  A SPLENDID TIME IS
GUARANTEED FOR ALL.

The HIPS HAPPENING (because we're hip, and we're happenin'), is scheduled for
6/2-4 and is based in Syracuse, NY.  This is a different kind of
convention....  instead of peeking into the future and seeing what's new and
different - this convention will reveal the path traveled.  There are over
1,000 guest irises planted in four spectacular gardens.... covering the
breadth of iris hybridizing over the past century.  We have four spectacular
anchor gardens lined up, plus some additional stops ... and some other
surprises too.  New York State was one of the main players in the birth of
the American Iris Society, and as a result, we have a treasure trove of
artifacts.  One special activity that you just don't run across anywhere is a
MAGIC LANTERN SLIDE SHOW.  We have a large collection of original glass
slides, which have been restored and which will be shown on authentic
equipment.  And to make it even more interesting... we are encouraging people
to dress in period clothes as if going to a speakeasy.

There will be a historic iris show as well, an Iris ID program and our
featured speaker is none other than himself:  Clarence Mahan.

Most of all, you'll get to meet some of the fascinating people you know (and
love) on line - and we are billing the gig as 3 days of flowers, folks and
fun.

Registration (which includes all activities - 2 tour days with lunches,
banquet and farewell luncheon) is $89 before 1/10, $93 from 1/11-3/15 and
$115 after that.  We will also take care of your hotel room ($85/night at the
Wyndham Hotel, Carrier Pkwy, E. Syracuse (315) 432-0200), if you include it
with your registration (thereby avoiding tax and such).

We even accept VISA and MASTERCARD.

Is the convention open to anyone at all??? OF COURSE!

I can send a registration form (via e-mail or snail mail) and more
information to anyone who would like it.  And I hope you will run for your
calendar and your checkbooks instantly.

Lots of stuff to do in NY too.... besides for the tour gardens, there's Dana
Borglum's place (hybridizer of LAKE KEUKA among others), lots of wineries,
the Finger Lakes are TDF and if you're in the mood - we've got this water
feature in the Buffalo area called Niagara Falls <BG>

Do yourself a favor - and join the Happenin'

Kathy