AR: LORETTA AARON

From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>

Mona French wrote:

> Loretta Aaron of Oklahoma City is in search of an aril iris named
after her and introduced by Cleo Palmer in the 60's or 70's.  All
Oklahoma City stock was destroyed by the Great Freeze of '83 and she has
been searching since.  If anyone can help, please contact me.<

Actually, it's a halfbred:

LORETTA  AARON  (Cleo Palmer, R. 1977). S. pale lavender, veined deeper,
yellow midrib and base; F. blend of brownish yellow with heavy overlay of
light red; brown beard. Tatai Pasha X Esther, the Queen.  Introduced by
Palmer in 1978.

Loretta wrote me about this some years ago, but I lost my clump during the
Great Neglect of '84-85.  That was the period of Mother's surgery,
chemotherapy, surgery, and recovery.  Perhaps 1% of my TBs survived,
although none recovered enough to bloom again.  Most of my arilbreds
survived, but LORETTA  AARON was in a bed that was invaded by tree roots.

Although I wasn't able to find one for Loretta, I came to believe that her
namesake must survive in other gardens.

1.      It was introduced in 1978 and put on quite a show at the 1980 Tulsa
Convention, which undoubtedly led to wider distribution than is typical for
its type.  A lot of people who had never noticed arilbreds before got
"hooked" at that convention.

2.      Although Palmer introduced it himself, he later distributed it
through the ASI Plant Sale, too.

3.      In the early 80s, it was an object of desire among hybridizers
working toward dark chocolate to black beards.

In my search, the catch was that all of the others I knew to have been
growing it  [from personal correspondence] were either dead or had dropped
out of the iris world.  But my contacts were hybridizers who shared certain
of my own interests -- so there must have been many more people who grew it
that I didn't know about.

Maybe someone on this list?  Or one of their friends?

Sharon McAllister
73372.1745@compuserve.com