Re: AR: Florida?

From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>

>From: BigAlligator@aol.com
>
>     Would Aril or Arilbred Irises have a chance in Florida, or would they,
>as I would expect--rot?  Am I correct in assuming that they are not suitable
>for regions in which alligators are found?

My understanding is that arils (and to a lesser extent arilbreds) resent
humidity & moisture during their summer dormancy period.  I suspect the
only way to grow them in Florida is in a greenhouse or other controlled
environment.  Even then, winters might not be cold enough for them.

Not that that should stop you from trying!  Remind me and I'll send you
some this summer when I divide them and we'll see what happens.  (And you
can send me some of those native Florida irises we've been talking about
over on that other list.  <G>)

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com
http://www.badbear.com/dkramb/home.html